cubical relief

This site is dedicated to a dark skinned white boy, also known as my brother, who has more style than I ever will.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I've Learned to Just Say No

 
Since my accident*, I have had a number of unusual encounters with strangers. Once, when I was going to get my hair done at Garbos in Oakview, an early morning mall walker with huge, black grandma sunglasses stopped me and asked me if she could pray for me. I said yes not knowing what the consequences were. She raised one hand towards the heavens and placed the other on my head while praying for my recovery.

You would think that I would have learned my lesson the first time, but the same situation happened to me in a restaurant. Matt, Bradley, and I were just about to leave when a man approached me and asked if he could pray for me. Again, I said sure. Then, he told me to close my eyes while he placed his hand on my shoulder and started praying. When he was done, I opened my eyes to find that Bradley and Matt were no longer next to me. I found them in the parking lot. I asked them why they left, and Matt said that it was just too weird. Now, if people ask to pray for me, I tell them that they can, but not now.

Besides praying for me, I have had people try to fix me. The situation over the summer was probably the weirdest "I can fix you" encounter that I have ever had. I have had numerous people try to convince me to play sports. I was horrible at sports when I was able bodied, why would I start now. I have had guys ask me to join a workout group for disabilities. I just don’t want to be the only girl.

Yesterday, when I was at Wal-Mart, I noticed that a girl with really bad make-up was following me up and down the aisle. I stopped to grab something. When I turned around, she was right behind me. She said, “Excuse me. You are going to think that this is strange, but you are really beautiful. By the way, I work for Mary-Kay. I was wondering if you want a free make-over, so that I can add you to my portfolio. I know how much girls like to get pampered.” I looked her over. Then, I said, "Thanks for considering me, but no thanks!" If she can’t do her make-up right, why would I volunteer to be her guinea pig? Besides, this weekend, I’m having a makeover at the Chanel counter. : )

=================================

*I’ve been paralyzed for a little over 11 years now. When I was 16, I was involved in a car accident. I was riding in the backseat of a car with a lap belt on. The driver lost control and drove into a tree. On impact, I broke my back, stretched my spinal cord, severed several nerves, and ruptured my intestine. I consider myself lucky, not only because I am alive, but also because my break was very low. I feel that I have greater mobility and an easier life physically than most paraplegics that I know.

3 Comments:

Blogger James Kernan Ferrin said...

it's a strange thing. it's nice how people want to fix things and make them all better. But, at the same time, they should use some tact.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Heather B said...

I wonder what disabilities they have lurking ... on the inside.

5:48 PM  
Blogger molly said...

girl...i think these are the same weirdos that try to make the gays straight...

i'm going to leave the whole mary kay thing alone...

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home