cubical relief

This site is dedicated to a dark skinned white boy, also known as my brother, who has more style than I ever will.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

My Father's Cancer

 
My father’s cancer is probably the hardest thing that I have had to deal with since my car accident 11 years ago and my parent’s divorce 4 years ago. Two years ago, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. When he was diagnosed, I just brushed it off. I ignored the fact that he was sick. I thought that the cancer would go away, and that everything would be fine. My long engagement and wedding planning kept my mind off of what was really going on with my father. As the months went by, he had been getting worse. His cancer had spread to the bones in his legs and his lower back.

Everyone has an opinion on how my father is doing physically. A few weeks ago, someone spread a rumor that if the chemo treatment that he had been waiting for didn’t work, that he could die within the next year. My body broke down emotionally, and I couldn’t stop crying. I have a hard time dealing with change and an extremely hard time dealing with death, and the thought of losing my father just saddens me. My father told me to stop listening to rumors, and that he would start sending out a weekly update on how he was doing. Before, if you asked him how he was feeling, he would say that he was fine.

Well the latest update is that he has started chemo, but the cancer may have spread to the canal around his spine. We will find out the results next week. Now all we can do is hope for the best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather B said...

People often ask me if I would rather have seen my parents go through an illness rather then have them go so quickly.

But the truth is, having never had the chance - how would I ever know? They were both taken so instantly ... I had no chance to do or say anything.

I know you are hurting like hell Nancy, but hang in there. My heart goes out to you & yours.

2:23 PM  
Blogger kari said...

This photo makes me wish it was still 1980-something, back when we were little and our family would visit Omaha each year at Christmas and 4th of July. Sometimes I miss being a kid...summer break, the 4th of July dance routines, homemade ice cream, getting fun toys like Hit Stix for Xmas gifts, and having the impression that everything in the world was good and nothing bad could touch us.

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home